Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What This Blog Is and Is Not

Evangelical detox...it's not a retreat in the woods that promises to pray your alcohol/drug addiction demons away. The type of detox I'm speaking of is the type that recognizes the elements of Evangelical American culture that have done more to hinder our faith than to help it and seeks to strip those away in order to strengthen our faith.

This blog is not a place to simply badmouth those that are a still a part of that culture. I want to make it clear that I don't think everything about it is toxic and I will try my best not to simply paint it in a negative light. It is not a place to demean others. It is not a place for those still in the culture to question my faith or the faith of any readers who may relate to my stories. It is not a place for those who threw the baby out with the bath water and left their belief altogether to prove that God doesn't exist. It is not a place to debate minor theological issues while ignoring the bigger picture. (All comments will be moderated to avoid these things.)

I simply want to share my own thoughts and experiences of my time living the life within that culture, what I learned, how it affected my beliefs, and why I had to leave it behind before I lost my faith entirely. It is a place that welcomes people with doubts, those who have experienced spiritual abuse at that hands of those they thought would encourage their faith, those who have more questions than answers, and those that just can't go through the motions any more. If that describes you, welcome. If it doesn't, I hope you find some sort of insight here nonetheless. I don't have all (or even most) of the answers. I don't believe that faith is supposed to be easy or comfortable. I believe in a God that rewards those who wrestle with what it means to follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment